The Mount Auburn Hospital Dietetic Internship program provides students with the supervised practice experience needed to fulfill the competencies for Dietitians established by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND). The program consists of 49 weeks of supervised practice rotations with a Medical Nutrition Therapy focus. Graduates of the program are eligible to sit for the registration examination for Registered Dietitians (RD). State licensure and state certification are entirely separate and distinct from registration or certification by the Commission of Dietetic Registration.
Students can apply for admission to Mount Auburn Dietetic internship once completing a baccalaureate degree in dietetics, food management, or a related field from an accredited college or university. The degree must include the minimum academic requirements of ACEND. The program provides 49 weeks of supervised practice rotations at Mount Auburn Hospital and other facilities in the Cambridge/Boston Metro area. The supervised practice component of the program consists of approximately 32 hours per week of supervised practice experience (Tuesday through Friday) and didactic instruction on Mondays. The didactic instruction on Mondays is at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) with the BIDMC interns or as a larger group with the other Boston Hospital Dietetic Internships. The dietetic internship provides a concentration area in Medical Nutrition Therapy.
It is the mission of the Mount Auburn Hospital Dietetic Internship program to prepare competent entry level registered dietitian nutritionists committed to the field of nutrition and higher learning. The program environment offers the unique opportunity for individualized training in a highly respected academic facility that serves as a community hospital delivering excellent, compassionate care to its clients.
Program Goals and Objectives
Goal #1: Prepare interns to become competent, entry level registered dietitian nutritionists with positions in the field of nutrition.
- 100% of the program graduates will pass the registration examination on the first attempt.
- 100% of the students admitted to the internship will complete the program within 18 months (150% of expected time frame of 51 weeks).
- 80% of the graduates who respond to the annual alumni survey will report they are employed in a dietetics related position within 6 months
Goal #2: Prepare graduates who demonstrate competency, and a commitment to the field of nutrition and higher learning.
- 90% of the graduates responding to the 5 year alumni survey will respond they have maintained CDR registration for at least 5 years.
- 90% of the graduates who respond to the annual alumni survey will rate themselves as competent for their first position, scoring a satisfactory or better.
- 75% of graduates will be ranked competent in professional knowledge by their employer in the annual employer survey, scoring a satisfactory or better.
- 50% of the graduates who respond to the 5 year alumni survey will report they have received a clinical certification.
Program outcome data available upon request.
Program Completion Requirements
Interns must complete all written and performance assignments and competencies to the satisfaction of the internship faculty within the allotted time period.
Mount Auburn Hospital Verification Requirements
Verification of completion of the Mount Auburn Dietetic Internship will be given to all students who successfully complete the internship, including coursework and the supervised practice components of the program.