The Hoffman Breast Center
You will find comprehensive and compassionate care at Mount Auburn Hospital's Hoffman Breast Center from our highly skilled and experienced team.
We work closely with your health care team and will assess your condition to develop an evidence based plan to meet your goals. You will receive individualized care throughout the course of your treatment.
In recognition of our exceptional program and innovative practices, the Hoffman Breast Center has earned the prestigious designation as an accredited Breast Center by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC), a national consortium of professional organizations dedicated to improving the quality of care for patients with breast cancer. We are very proud of this designation as it speaks to the level of care we provide to our patients, reflects our outstanding survivor rates for all stages of breast cancer – which are well beyond the national average – and acknowledges our ongoing efforts to advance treatments for breast cancer patients.
- Bone Density
- Stereotactic Breast Biopsy, Needle Localization Procedures, Ultrasound Guided Breast Biopsy
- Diagnostic Mammograms (acute symptoms or call back studies)
- On-site Breast Center Coordinator (assists in explanation and scheduling of further imaging and/or consultations when necessary.)
Open some minor holidays for convenience, please call. Closed major holidays. Parking available in the East or West Garages.
Hours of Operation
Monday through Thursday 7:00 am - 7:30 pm
Friday 7:00 am - 4:00 pm
Saturday 8:00 am - 2:30 pm
Breast Cancer Guidelines
The Hoffman Breast Center follows the recommendations of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, the American College of Radiology, and the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology:
- Women in their 20’s and 30’s should have a breast examination by a health professional every 3 years.
- Starting at age 40, women should have a breast examination every year.
- Women age 40 and older should have a mammogram every year and should continue to do so for as long as they are in good health.
- For women with a strong family history of breast cancer, screening should begin 10 years prior to the youngest age at diagnosis in a family member.
- Women with a high risk of breast cancer because of family history may need more intensive surveillance with breast MRI as well as mammograms.
About The Hoffman Breast Center
Alice Hoffman, Novelist
The Hoffman Breast Center is designed to provide the kind of care women want: convenient, personalized and supportive. The center combines all the elements needed for the full range of breast care. The breast center is named for Alice Hoffman, renowned novelist, and her family whose generous support helped create an important resource.
For the convenience of patients, The Hoffman Breast Center is located off the hospital lobby adjacent to the Women's Imaging Center where mammograms, ultrasounds and biopsy, procedures are performed. Mount Auburn Hospital's Cancer Treatment Center is known for combining superb expertise and the latest technology with a commitment to personalized care. The Hoffman Breast Center is an extension of that approach to treatment. Mammography imaging, breast ultrasound, ultrasound breast biopsies and stereotactic biopsies are accredited by the American College of Radiology. Genetic counseling, 3D Tomosynthesis and breast MRI are also available. Our facility is licensed by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and has a valid certificate of inspection.
The Hoffman Breast Center is staffed by a coordinator who serves as a patient advocate. She is there to provide education and support around all aspects of breast health. In the event a woman is diagnosed with breast cancer, the coordinator can assist with appointments to surgeons specializing in breast care, plastic and reconstructive surgeons, medical and radiation oncologists and supportive services. Women are well supported from diagnosis through the completion of their treatment.