Young Women with Breast Cancer
If you’re diagnosed with breast cancer in your 20s or 30s, you may experience challenges and concerns that differ from those of older women. Count on the team at Mount Auburn Hospital’s Hoffman Breast Center to meet your needs.
Breast Cancer Support for Young Women
At Hoffman Breast Center, find breast cancer support tailored to you and your stage in life. You’ll take advantage of the same advanced cancer treatments, support services and survivorship resources as our other breast cancer patients, but we’ll pay special attention to your unique concerns. Our experienced providers will help you navigate treatment while balancing school or career issues, the dating scene, parenting and family-building concerns, and other aspects of young adulthood.
Because breast cancer associated with inherited gene mutations tends to develop at a younger age, we’ll suggest genetic testing and counseling.
If you’re still building your family, talk with your care team about ways to preserve your fertility before beginning cancer treatments. You may be able to use treatments that protect your ability to get pregnant. Or, you may choose to take advantage of options such as egg or embryo freezing. Our experienced, compassionate fertility consultants will help you understand your options.
If surgery is your best treatment option, your care team will help you understand your options for reconstructive surgery. Our surgeons are experienced in skin-sparing mastectomies, which preserve the skin and nipple for more natural-looking reconstructive surgery results.
Breast Cancer During Pregnancy
If you experience breast cancer during pregnancy or while breastfeeding, rely on the doctors at Hoffman Breast Center to manage and treat your cancer while protecting your growing baby. In addition to cancer specialists, your care team will include:
- Maternal-fetal medicine specialist – OB-GYN with advanced training in caring for women and their growing babies during un-routine pregnancies
- Neonatologist – Pediatrician who specializes in caring for newborns
Resources for Young Women with Breast Cancer
Explore these online resources to learn more about facing breast cancer as a young woman:
- Cancer + Careers – Advice, tools and education to help people with cancer thrive in their workplace
- SAMFund – Grants and resources for young adult cancer survivors who are paying off medical bills, building a family, looking for a job and moving forward with their lives
- Susan G. Komen: Unique Issues for Young Women with Breast Cancer
- Young Survival Coalition (YSC) – Resources and connections for young women with breast cancer