Find woman-to-woman help achieving pregnancy at the Alternative Insemination Center of Greater Boston (AICGB).
Certified nurse-midwives (CNMs) from Midwives at Mount Auburn (MaMA), in collaboration with an OB-GYN, will guide you through the logistical, medical and emotional aspects of alternative insemination as you work together to grow your family.
Who Uses Alternative Insemination (AI)?
You may choose alternative insemination if you need donor sperm to conceive a baby. We work with:
- Single women
- Lesbian couples
- Heterosexual couples experiencing male factor infertility or the risk of passing on a serious genetic disorder
Sometimes a woman's age, weight or medical history could make her ineligible for inseminations with our program due to the need for a higher level of surveillance than our office is able to provide. If you have any questions, please feel free to call the office.
Your First Appointment: What to Expect
You’ll start with a consultation with one of our midwives. During this visit, you and your midwife will:
- Review your medical history
- Talk about preconception care
- Discuss how to monitor your menstrual cycle and predict ovulation
- Review the AI process and resources for donor sperm
- Address any concerns or questions about AI
- Develop a personalized AI plan based on your age, financial concerns and other factors
If you are due for an annual exam and/or need a Pap smear or other testing, you may schedule an annual exam at our office or with your regular GYN provider. If you’ve had a recent exam, please bring your medical records with you.
AI Services We Offer
You and your midwife will work together to decide which type of AI is best for you. We offer:
- Intracervical insemination (ICI) – Semen is placed at the cervical opening using a catheter
- Intrauterine insemination (IUI) – Semen is placed directly in your uterus using a catheter
In-office AI procedures are available 365 days a year. Your insemination will be scheduled based on your menstrual cycle.
If you become pregnant, we can refer you to a prenatal care provider. We recommend a prenatal appointment within the first ten weeks of pregnancy.
Most people won't conceive after just one insemination. However, if after a few attempts you still aren't pregnant, you can schedule a time with your CNM to discuss next steps.
Cost & Insurance
Your fees will vary based on your specific AI plan. You can estimate the following costs:
- Consultation appointment: $164
- In-Office Insemination: $250
- Sperm: Varies, depending on sperm bank. Please note that we do not do inseminations with fresh sperm.
- Ovulation predictor kits: Varies, depending on where they are purchased. Approximately $20 to $50 per cycle.
We’ll bill your insurance whenever possible. Check with your insurance carrier to learn about your coverage.