Now that you know that you will require a total joint replacement, it’s time to meet the members of your Longfellow Center Care Team. Here, you will benefit from a comprehensive, coordinated approach delivered by a highly skilled Joint Replacement Team whose members include:
- Orthopedic Surgeon – Your Surgeon is a highly trained and skilled board-certified Physician responsible for repairing your damaged joint(s).
- Anesthesiologists – Your Anesthesiologist is a board certified Physician and/or Nurse Anesthetist who administers the anesthesia during your procedure.
- Physician Assistant (PA) – Your Surgeon is assisted by licensed Physician Assistants who will be with you throughout your stay in the Center. They manage your daily care while at the Center.
- Orthopedic Care Coordinator (OCC) - Your Orthopedic Care Coordinator is your advocate and navigator throughout the entire process. She coordinates all of your care needs from the Surgeon’s office to the hospital and back home again.
- Registered Nurse (RN) – Your care team Nurse monitors your condition, makes you comfortable and works closely with the team to ensure you get the best possible care while at the center.
- Physical Therapist (PT) –Your Physical Therapist works closely with you to insure that you return to your full daily functionality. He or she will develop an appropriate exercise program to help you regain strength and motion and will provide continuous postoperative education to assist you in your discharge.
- Occupational Therapist (OT) – Your Occupational Therapist guides you in performing daily tasks such as bathing, dressing, and toileting with your new joint, which may include adaptive equipment education and demonstrations.
- Case Manager (CM) - Your CM coordinates your discharge from the hospital.
- Coach – Your “Coach,” a friend or family member, is an important member of your Longfellow Center Care Team. Your Coach should be with you from the start. He or she should attend the pre-operative education class, visit during your hospital stay, and keep you focused on your recovery.
With the exception of your Coach, each member of your team is hand-picked for his or her positive attitude and motivational skills to provide you with the highest level of compassionate care, delivered in a comfortable atmosphere. You will find them knowledgeable, engaging, and helpful.
For more detailed description of these specially trained healthcare professionals, view our comprehensive Guidebooks for knee replacement or hip replacement or call us at 617-499-5882.