New Parent Support
Your new baby’s first days home can bring both joy and challenges. Count on the experienced staff at Mount Auburn Hospital to continue to answer your questions, provide care and offer support to your family during your little one’s first days, weeks and months.
Questions About Your Newborn?
Your relationship with the nurses at Bain Birthing Center doesn’t have to end when you leave the hospital. Our staff is available to answer questions about the health of mom or baby 24/7 after you return home. You can reach us at 617-499-5035.
Home Visits For Moms & Babies
Get high-quality, family-centered postpartum care in the comfort of your home with Mount Auburn Hospital’s CareGroup Home Care. Our experienced maternal-child nurses—nurses who specializes in caring for pregnant and postpartum women and their babies—and certified lactation consultants provide assessment, support, guidance and referrals as needed. Ask about:
- Breastfeeding assistance and support
- Help with the transition home and/or care for premature or medically fragile infants, including those on oxygen or nasogastric (NG) tubes
- Growth and development assessments
- Home safety evaluations
- Postpartum care for women, including care for post-caesarean wounds and other birthing-related complications
- • Postpartum depression (PPD) assessment and referrals
To learn more or make an appointment with the Maternal Child Health Program at Mount Auburn Hospital’s CareGroup Home Care, call 617-673-1700.
Early Maternity Discharge Visit
If you plan to leave the hospital early after giving birth, ask your provider about a referral to Mount Auburn Hospital’s CareGroup Home Care program. An experienced nurse will visit you at home within 48 hours of your discharge to:
- Assess your well-being
- Provide education about self-care
- Check your newborn’s health and weight
- Provide education about infant care and safety
- Offer breastfeeding assessment, assistance and support
Postpartum Support Group
Gather with other parents at Mount Auburn’s Postpartum Support Group to share experiences and support each other through the early days (and nights) of parenthood. Depending on the week, you may hear guest speakers, enjoy a free massage, or just talk with one of our certified nurse-midwives.
The drop-in group meets Tuesdays from 2 to 3:30 p.m. at Mount Auburn Healthcare at Waltham. It’s open to all new parents and their non-crawling babies regardless of place of birth or care provider. Visit our page on pregnancy and parenting classes to learn more.