You want the best for your baby, starting on his or her very first day. Count on the experienced pediatricians and nurses at Mount Auburn Hospital to work with you to ensure your little one gets the care and attention he or she needs.
At Bain Birthing Center, you’re encouraged to room-in, or keep your baby in your room with you. But when you need rest, feel confident in the care your baby will receive from the expert nurses in our newborn nursery. Your baby also may visit the nursery for routine screenings and treatments.
Phototherapy for Jaundice
If your baby has jaundice—yellowed skin and/or eyes—your doctor may recommend phototherapy. During phototherapy, your baby is exposed to a special blue light that breaks down bilirubin, the substance in his or her blood that’s causing the discoloration. Most phototherapy treatments take at least 24 hours. You’ll be able to stay at the hospital and feed your baby every few hours between his or her treatment sessions in the nursery.
Level IIA Nursery
When your baby needs special attention, trust the skilled physicians and nurses at Mount Auburn Hospital to provide the care he or she needs.
As a Level IIA (special care) nursery, we have the expertise and technology to stabilize any newborn, and to care for babies born at 34 weeks gestation or older who don’t need advanced respiratory support. If your baby needs specialty care, we’ll transfer him or her to a Level III or IV neonatal intensive care unit.
Rest assured that your baby is in good hands at Mount Auburn Hospital. Our team includes neonatologists—pediatricians with advanced training in caring for premature or ill newborns—who are available 24/7.
Family-Centered Special Nursery Care
You’re an important part of your baby’s care team. You’ll find multiple ways to stay involved and informed while your baby’s in our special care nursery. Take advantage of:
- Unlimited visiting hours for parents
- Daily rounds – Bedside meetings where doctors and nurses discuss your child’s current condition and treatment plan
- Weekly family meetings – Dedicated time to sit down with your baby’s physician to discuss and plan care, as well as get answers to your questions
- Support for breastfeeding – Pump at your baby’s bedside or use our dedicated private room
Count on 24/7 access to your baby’s nurses and doctors no matter where you are. If you need to leave the hospital, we’ll give you a direct phone number to the nursery so you can call any time with questions or concerns.
Home Visits for Medically Fragile Babies
Count on the experienced maternal-child nurses with our CareGroup Home Care program to help ease your transition home with a premature or medically fragile newborn. Get a variety of family-centered services in the comfort of your home, including:
- Review of care guidelines learned during your hospital stay
- Feeding assessment and review, including weight checks
- Review of medication preparation, schedule and administration
- Cardiopulmonary status assessment and education on recognizing when to contact a physician
- Coordination of care with your baby’s pediatrician or specialist
- Referrals to community resources
- Emotional support
- Answers to your questions
To learn more or make an appointment with the Maternal Child Health Program at Mount Auburn Hospital’s CareGroup Home Care, call 617-673-1700.