Academia & Teaching
Your classroom learning weighs equally with clinical application as you complete a course of study which will help define you as a practitioner in the years ahead. You can depend on your Mount Auburn and Harvard Medical School instructors to challenge, prod, and invigorate you to achieve things you may only dream possible now.
You will become a well-rounded resident through a variety of hands-on training opportunities, including:
- Weekly case reviews every Tuesday morning during pre-operative conferences
- Weekly journal clubs offer spirited conversations while teaching research methodology in an enjoyable, yet highly applicable way
- Weekly didactic and review assignments to help residents prepare for board certification preparedness, regardless of current rotation;
- A surgical skills lab provides you with 24/7 access to arthroscopy simulators, internal and external fixation stations, suturing and hand-tie stations and h more.
- Frequent hands-on access to cadaveric and saw bone workshops/lectures to further your practical application
- Monthly Conferences
- Monthly morbidity and mortality conferences to help you learn how to handle complicated cases.
- • Monthly lecture series on current and cutting edge topics provided by local, regional and national speakers
Annual Conference Requirement
You are required to complete Diversity Training and exposure to other experts by attending one outside conference per year. Areas of focus may include: Internal Fixation for Reconstructive Surgery and Trauma of the Foot & Ankle by the American Academy of Foot and Ankle Osteosynthesis, Foot and Ankle Arthroscopy by the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons, American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons Annual Scientific Conference
Other Academic Resources
As a program resident, you have access to all Harvard Libraries (more than5,000 medical journal subscriptions, extensive access to textbooks, rare and original books, The Cochrane Review, and countless databases).
Ongoing Board Certification Preparation
- Online access to extensive educational materials including surgical textbooks, presentations, surgical videos and much more
- Preparation for board certification/ qualification examinations from the American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery (ABFAS), which tracks resident knowledge and identifies areas for improvement.