Build the confidence and exceptional decision-making skills that’ll make you a leader in the field of radiology through the Radiology Residency program at Mount Auburn Hospital, a teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School.
You’ll get hands-on experience as you work alongside subspecialty-trained physicians, enjoy the ability to customize your learning to suit your career goals, and enrich your clinical training with scholarly experiences.
Our program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME).
Your Residency Timeline
Throughout your four-year diagnostic radiology program, you’ll participate in rotations and conferences. As you progress through the program, you’ll take on more responsibility and enjoy the opportunity to focus your residency experience by choosing electives that fit your interests and long-term career goals.
You’ll be expected to:
- Read extensively
- Master anatomy
- Understand department imaging protocols
- Interpret patient examinations
- Participate in discussions concerning diagnostic problems
- Participate in Journal Club and prepare case discussion for the Radiology Pathology conference
Years Two & Three
Years Two & Three
Take on progressively greater responsibility as you:
- Interpret images
- Conduct radiological consultations
- Perform procedures
- Rotate through Boston Children's Hospital, Massachusetts General Hospital and the AIRP
- Teach medical students, rotating medical residents colleagues and staff
Assume even more autonomy as you have the opportunity to:
- Select and complete a mini-fellowship in the subspecialty of your choice
- Choose elective subspecialty rotations at local institutions such as the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary
Research & Academia
Get support and dedicated time to develop, conduct and share a research project of your choosing. You’re encouraged to submit your findings for publication or presentation at national meetings. You’ll also participate in a quality improvement project during your residency.
Learn From The Best
At Mount Auburn Hospital, you’ll work directly with attending radiologists—all of whom have teaching appointments at Harvard Medical School and a strong commitment to educating the next generation of physicians and health care leaders. They’ll act as mentors, guide you through rotations and support your research.
Learn more about our leadership and faculty and hear from our program director.
Regular Evaluations & Assessments
At the end of each rotation, your attending radiologist will complete an evaluation form assessing the competencies defined by the ACGME. You’ll meet with J. Pierre Sasson, MD, the program director, twice a year to review and discuss your progress.
Enjoy Life in Boston
You’ll love our location in Cambridge, Massachusetts, just across the Charles River from Boston proper. Discover what it’s like to live in Cambridge and learn more about the benefits included in your compensation package.